This is to propose the opening of an HRMP tunnel, in order to support the cross-chain communication between Bifrost and Karura.
There are multiple on-chain proposals including
open HRMP cross-chain communication between Bifrost and Karura parachain and
List BNC/kUSD pair via Bootstrap on Karura Swap . On-chain proposal will be posted soon.
HRMP (Horizontally Relay-routed Message Passing) is a stop-gap that precedes XCMP. Semantically, it copies XCMP’s interface. The crucial difference from XCMP is that all the messages are stored in the relay-chain storage. The HRMP will be expected to retire once the XCMP is available.
Opening of HRMP channel between Bifrost and Karura will initially release the cross-chain communication between two parachains:
- Tokens on both sides can be transferred to each other.
- Messages can be received on both sides, calling functions by each other.
Some more technical parameters from Bifrost side.
Two proposals are required on Karura and Bifrost to establish a bidirectional HRMP channel.
The whole flow will be roughly like:
- Initiate requests
a. Karura’s proposal to request to open Karura to Bifrost HRMP channel
b. Bifrost’s proposal to request to open Bifrost to Karura HRMP channel
- Wait until proposals on step 1 are approved & enacted
- Accept requests
a. Karura’s proposal to accept Bifrost to Karura HRMP channel
b. Bifrost’s proposal to accept Karura to Bifrost HRMP channel
- Wait until proposals on step 3 are approved & enacted
- Wait for another session on Kusama for the change to be effective
- Cross-chain transfer BNC will be possible at this stage. Other kinds of cross-chain interaction such as transfer of KAR & kUSD will be enabled at later stage via runtime upgrade of Karura & Bifrost.
Voting Period: #481,486
Activate Period: #481,773
Proposed max capacity:
Proposed max message size:
This withdraws 1 KSM to buy transaction fee, execute the call to accept open channel request, and refund remaining KSM to the parachain sovereign account